Monday, May 5, 2014

Chaat Masala


Chaat Masala 




I like things homemade as much as possible. India is of course the land of spices but packaged powdered spices are my worst enemy , wll I am not saying its not convenient for some but it just lacks that beautiful flavour of the homemade variant and with a grinder at home you can pretty much make any spice powder you want. I do use the mortar and pestle but for cumin powder or coriander powder to some other masalas I do use the grinder. Just like that I typed in 'chaat masala recipe' and I was thrilled to find one on NDTV's website by Niru Gupta. I slashed down the ingredients by half and that God I did so because int he end I now have 2.5 cups of beautiful aromatic chaaat masala powder. I did leave out the citric acid since I didn't have it at home.



The recipe is simple and this is what I used :-

1 cup of cumin seeds
1/2 cup of coriander seeds
1/4th cup of ajwain
1 tsp peppercorn
3/4th cup of rock salt powder
1/2 cup of dried mango powder
1/4th cup of powdered mint leaves ( I dried mine at home and powdered it)
2 tsp garam masala

Now all one needs to do is take the whole spices and dry roast them and grind them to a fine powder and then transfer ti to a bowl and mix it well with the other powdered ingredients and then place it in a jar and shake it vigourously. Use it for chaats , to spcie up fruits , salads , pakodis



1 comment: