Friday, March 21, 2014

Dhansak Masala


Dhansak Masala 

by Nilofer 


I am obsessed with certain things in life, be it the white crockery, the white table linen, using as much fresh herb as possible flowers in my vase or making my spice blends from scratch. Well you can certainly take the easy route and always buy a packet of spice and use it and well your dish will come out tasty but homemade blend of  freshly ground spice is aromatic , romantic and a complete addiction. With India's varied cuisines the blends are varied and numerous. Today its time for the famous Dhansak masala. Now my first brush with Parsi cuisine was in Bombay and the day I put that spoonful of delicious thick pulse in my mouth I was a fan. I followed Nilofer's blend and the taste was as close as the one I had at Sassanian.

What you need :-

Coriander seeds 1 cup
Bay-leaf 1/4th cup
Cumin 1/4th cup
Dried red chili 6 to 7
White poppy seeds 1 tbsp
Cinnamon sticks 2
Black pepper 2 tbsp
Cloves 1 tbsp
Green cardamom pods 1 tbsp shelled
Black cardamom - 4
Caraway seeds - 1 tsp
Black cumin seeds 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Saffron a pinch
Ground mace - 1/4th tsp
Nutmeg 1

Simply dry roast everything expect the powdered spices and grind it together with the powdered spices .

No comments:

Post a Comment